The History Of The Old Halesonian Lodge

The Spirit and Ethos of the Old Halesonian Lodge 7104 in the Register of the Grand Lodge of England is based upon the former Halesowen Grammar School that became the Earls High School in 1972. The period after the Second World War saw a surge of interest in Freemasonry. Many of the former pupils of the School were prominent in local business and professional circles and were also masons and keen to establish an old school lodge.

Seth SomersV. W. Bro. Seth Smith Somers O.B.E., J.P., P G Treas., P.P.S.G.W. Founder and First Worshipful Master of The Old Halesonian Lodge No. 7104

A minute of the regular meeting of Perseverance Lodge held on the 14th November 1950 reads:

V.W. Bro. Seth S. Somers P.G.Treasurer P.P.S.G.W. presented the Petition of a proposed lodge to be known as the Old Halesonian Lodge that would receive to membership the Old Scholars of Halesowen Grammar School. He himself had been invited to become the first Worshipful Master.

Fifteen old scholars from Perseverance Lodge 573, Regis Lodge 4463, Halesowen Lodge 5635 and Prometheus Lodge 4209 signed the petition. The Old Halesonian Lodge 7104 was consecrated at the Masonic Hall, Newfields on Saturday 15th December 1951 by the R.W.Bro. Ben Marsh J.P. Provincial Grand Master for the Masonic Province of Worcestershire. Two traditional events that were introduced to the Festive Board in 1952 and today still provide the evening with a special ambience are the singing of the Board's Head Carol and the School Song Forty Years On.

In 1972, Halesowen Grammar School ceased to exist in name for it was reformed as The Earls High School, one of several comprehensive schools in the Borough. The Old Halesonian Lodge has adapted to the changing educational scene over the years. Qualifications for membership have been extended to include husbands of former female pupils, blood relatives of former pupils, relatives of members of the Lodge and anyone considered to have a special interest in the school or in associations connected to it.

Anyone interested in receiving a free copy of
"The Golden Jubilee Commemorative History 1951 --- 2001"
may apply to the Secretary via the Contact Us page.